Wednesday, 14 December 2011

Attraversiamo!!

“All great changes are preceded by chaos.” -Deepak Chopra

Attraversiamo!! = Let's cross over. 

This is how the book "eat pray love " end. As I finished the much talked about book I too like the author Elizabeth Gilbert was ready to cross over.

I have been a full time working mother who for the past one month has been sitting at home savoring the bitter sweet flavors of a stay at home mother. Being a part of the working mothers group for a while (say ever since my son turned 5 months) it felt kind of out of place staying home from sun up to sun down. I always coveted the life of a stay at home mother thinking that they had it all under control though some of my friends told me it wasn't anything of that sort. Now that I am wearing their shoes I do realize that it is not as easy as it looks. Like the saying goes the grass is always greener on the other side isn't it?

I have not set up any schedules and tasks to accomplish as of now. All I aim for is spending time with my toddler who is the only companion I have here with me. He doesn't like his mom to do anything other than playing with him. I do plan to carve out quality time to work on my blog posts which have been abandoned for a while now.

What I had initially hoped for was a well planned day where my toddler would mind his own business while I read, cooked, cleaned and blogged to my hearts content. Needless to say it was too much to hope for or rather plan for. As the days began to unfold I realized that my plans were nothing to my toddler. He never cared if mummy didn't cook or hadn't blogged or didn't get time to read her novel. All that he cared for was me paying attention to his needs that were not physical like I had thought it would be (food or bath or sleep) but on the contrary they were emotional like responding to him and playing with him or soothing his hurt knees or the forehead that he just bumped on the furniture. This is something that comes quite naturally for some mothers but I am not a natural in this department as I had once thought I was.

Toddlers can really test your patience. Mine is a very energetic and active toddler who chooses to do just the opposite of what I ask of him. And when he puts his mind on something it is very difficult to get him to do what you want him to. But once you do allow him to have his way (provided it is reasonable) he does come around to accepting your requests more willing.

I have slowly begun to make friends with my toddler and his ways. Expecting a toddler to give me space and time to be an adult can be too much to ask of him. It is better to become a toddler yourself and accept the new unfamiliar territory of a stay-at-home mother by taking things slowly and working up a style that suits you and your toddler best.

I am ready to crossover into my new role as a full time mother and home maker. Wish me luck!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments and feedback on the articles you read.
If you are a blogger like me please feel free to leave links to your blog so I can visit them and read your articles too.
Thank you!!