Thursday, 10 November 2011

A Lesson in Gratitude

"Gratitude is an art of painting an adversity into a lovely picture."  ~Kak Sri

We as humans are pretty good at complaining. We can hardly find a day in which we are contented and happy about our life and all that is happening in and around it. I am just as human as any of you. I complain on most days about my job, my boss, my toddler, my lack of motivation to blog and so on. But there is a simple thing that we could do to make our life a little better....and that is to have an attitude of gratitude.



This is not as easy as it sounds and many of you know that. Sometimes we even begin our day with a compliant like today I woke up with a neck pain...and I was like "Aaa..this hurts I hate my pillow....now I will be having a stiff neck the whole day or a week...." . The thing about this is when we complain we kind of miss out on the good things that we have in our life and we are always upset and grumpy. And no one wants to live with a grumpy version of you. Believe me even you don't want yourself to be like this....it will only add frown lines to your face and make you look less prettier than you were meant to be.

Change your life by adding a dose of Gratitude to it!!

We all have things in our live that we are grateful for. It is just that we are so engrossed in our misery that we fail to see it. I always thought that we as humans lack this quality a lot and maybe this is what is stopping us from becoming better human beings. My thoughts materialized when I was watching one of Oprah Winfrey's life class where she talked about keeping a Gratitude Journal. She said that she had a journal in which she would write down 5 things she was grateful for at the end of the day. And this changed how she saw people and situations around her. She would make a conscious effort to notice things that were small but that she could list in her journal.....for example, if someone held the door open for her....she would think "Oh!  I need to write that down in my journal today".

This is something I feel a lot of us should adapt into our routines. It could be done at the start of the day or at the close of the day. Or whenever you find you need to make a note of a good act someone does for you at that moment. So hunt out any notebook, journal, diary, note pad....anything on which you could make a note of the things you are grateful for today.

When you first begin you might not find anything relevant to write about. Don't worry this is normal because we are so used to seeing what we miss or don't or can't have and this exercise is kind of new for us. With a little effort and a constant practice we will become a grateful human being.

My suggestion is to open a fresh page. Put today's date on top and start listing about 50 things you are grateful for at this very moment. Oprah has a work sheet that called for this and I was shocked thinking...."50 things?" but if you start with the basic like "BREATH" says Oprah you will be surprised that 50 is a simple number to reach and she was right. Within a matter or minutes I had a list consisting of the 50 things I was grateful for in my life. 


Now I make it a point to write down 5 things I am grateful for each day at a time I find convenient.
Today's list will be shared with you so you get an idea of what I am talking about.

10th November 2011, Thursday

I am grateful for..............

1. my warm bed, pillow and bed sheets
2. my husband who made breakfast for me
3. my jogging shoes that help me workout
4. my energetic toddler who keeps me busy
5. my toddler's nap-time because it gave me time to write this blog post.

Well there are my 5 things. Simple yet they all make me happy.
Need more convincing then read: Attitude of Gratitude - this article dwells deeper into the topic of Gratitude and gives you tips on how to cultivate Gratitude.

1 comment:

  1. thank you very much for such wonderful message..!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your comments and feedback on the articles you read.
If you are a blogger like me please feel free to leave links to your blog so I can visit them and read your articles too.
Thank you!!