Tuesday, 22 March 2011

In 15!

"You can do anything for 15 minutes" ~ FLYlady

Today I am going to share with you the amazing power of 15. Just 15min. is all you need to invest in doing a little organizing that you always wanted to do. Don't believe me...I urge you to try it.

Many of us put off doing things because we assume that it will take a lot of time and somehow we have none to spare. The result is....it never gets done. A valuable lesson that I learned from FLYlady is that 'you can do anything for 15 minutes'.......It took me some convincing and mental persuasion to actually do something for 15min. and stop at the end of that 15min.

What we often do is spend endless hours toiling over some big load of organizing and then give up mid way or just get upset and exhausted from the effort we put in and promise ourselves never to do this again. Well we all have been there sometime or the other but somehow, someday we will have to deal with it.

So I advice you to pick out a spot or a job that you have been putting off and just do what you can in 15 min. not more. Stop when you have spend 15 min. working on your chosen project and leave it to invest another 15 min. next day.
You maybe surprised that the work you picked up may even be over in 15min. or less. I have found this many times. I sometimes feel folding that pile of clothes or clearing and cleaning the table or even a room will take a lot of time but when I put my mind to this and work without stopping and focus on doing my best for 15min. non stop then it actually gets done and I feel better too. If my chosen task does not finish in 15min. then I just let it be and stop what I have done and promise to do it later on the same day or the next day by investing another 15min.

If you already have a full schedule where you hardly get time to sip a cup of tea (or coffee in my case) then you should just put your feet up and relax for 15 min. Just 15 min.....that is not asking too much is it? 


Here are a few suggestions for thing you can do in 15minutes or even less:

1. Pray for 15minutes.
2. Do some heart pumping exercise for 15min. like simply climbing stairs or jumping jacks or skipping.
3. Mindfully enjoy your tea or coffee (a tea/coffee break) for 15min.
4. Put on a face pack and let dry for 15min.
5. Play with you toddler outdoors for 15min.
6. Spend some alone time doing absolutely NOTHING for 15min.
7. Chat with a close friend/neighbor/relative for 15min.
8. Clean a flat surface like table top/kitchen counter/work table in 15min.
9. Make a healthy lunch to take to work in 15min.

10.Layout your work clothes, shoes, hand bag and accessories for the next day in 15min. (as part of a night time routine).

Pick another 5 items to add to the list and you will have 15 things that you can do in just 15min.....I leave you to complete the list. Add anything...even things that you think impossible to finish in 15minutes to this list and just do them for the allotted 15 min.and have fun doing it.





1 comment:

  1. this makes sense in the time management...in reality a lot of things we can do if it is followed..when you look back to the day that you have lived through, it seems that you have done majority of things in your "TO DO LIST" and that make you satisfied.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your comments and feedback on the articles you read.
If you are a blogger like me please feel free to leave links to your blog so I can visit them and read your articles too.
Thank you!!