Wednesday, 23 February 2011

LOVE yourself...

"The things we hate about ourselves aren't more real than things we like about ourselves."  ~Ellen Goodman

A few weeks back I saw an add on TV which had an interesting slogan....it was Valentines day based....anyway it was interesting because it said...."It's all about loving yourself" (it was an eBay add - to be precise).
I didn't give much thought to it in the beginning but as it kept coming at regular intervals between the show I was watching I began to ponder on it. What's wrong in gifting ourselves on Valentines day anyway ( like the add portrayed)....interesting concept isn't it?

How many of us actually love ourselves or appreciate ourselves on a daily basis? Think of it....Do you love yourself? Do you tell yourself "I LOVE YOU?" I know it sounds almost odd saying to ourselves. We wish someone would tell us those three words many times and at different stages in our lives but we hardly ever say it to ourselves.

When I was in Chennai, doing my college....I used to buy myself a rose on Valentines day....and I would present one to a few of my close friends too. It felt nice to own a rose and to gift one to someone and make them feel special and loved.

Have you ever gifted yourself something? Well then try it because you deserve it. You have always done things for your kids, your husband, your lover, your friend....made a lot of adjustments, a few sacrifices and given your time and energy many times in so many different ways to so many different people in your lives haven't you? So do yourself a little favor and do some indulging this week. I know Valentines day is over but it is never too late to start loving yourself.

I could give loads of ideas on how to love yourself but then again you know yourself better than I do.The things that works for me may not be the things that work for you. But if I have to list a few they would be as follows:


1. Appreciate yourself : A little appreciation goes a long way. Don't wait for others to say it to you because they may never do....so just appreciate yourself for the person you are, the things you do, the efforts you take and so on.

2. Stop comparing: Don't look at your mom and wish you were like her....don't compare yourself to your friends, your neighbors, your co-workers....you can never be them because you are you....and YOU are unique...so smile and be happy.

3. Acknowledge your talents: There are things that you can do....well maybe other can do them too.....but you can do them in your own way and style so acknowledge it. You may be a good cook, a good writer, you read a lot, you like to listen to others, you may talk a lot....these are all your talents and they add up to make your personality.

4. Write down: Sometimes it helps to write down things that you love about yourself. It will give you a boost. So pick up that pen and start listing the things you like about yourself.

5. Gift yourself: As I said in the beginning of the post gift yourself with something. Needn't be expensive...just simple like say a rose, a good book, a good music CD, a Journal to write your thoughts or just an ice cream....depends on what you like.

These are just a few. I know you have many more ideas on how to pamper yourself so go ahead and do it...what are you waiting for?



4 comments:

  1. this plays the major part of self respect which essential attribute of one's personality...you have explained so beautifully and this passage must gives confident to all who read this..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you....I think that we all deserve to LOVE ourselves first so that we can give love to those near and dear to us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too agree with u loving urself helps u to love others around u only if u appreciate urself u'll be able to appreciate others :)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your comments and feedback on the articles you read.
If you are a blogger like me please feel free to leave links to your blog so I can visit them and read your articles too.
Thank you!!