Thursday, 23 December 2010

Not measuring up?!!!

"Christmas gift suggestions:  To your enemy, forgiveness.  To an opponent, tolerance.  To a friend, your heart.  To a customer, service.  To all, charity.  To every child, a good example.  To yourself, respect."  ~Oren Arnold

"It's not Christmas unless you have a Christmas tree decorated with loads of streamers and lights....
It's not Christmas if you don't have a star shining bright....
It's not Christmas if you haven't baked a cake...
It's not Christmas if you don't have a bottle of wine or champagne....
It's not Christmas if you haven't bread and stew....
If all this is what makes Christmas to you then I have no Christmas this Christmas I tell you...... "
Yesterday after work as I climbed the stairs to my apartment which is on the 1st floor I could smell the sweet aroma of food from my neighbor's home. Hmm....whats cooking? "Christmas"......I just had to compliment her on the exotic smells that found a way to my nostrils and the whole 1st floor. So I peeked in and told her that her cooking smells good. She smiled and said she was preparing for Christmas. Wow...I really admire her cause she is right now 7 months pregnant and has a son who is 7 and a daughter who is 2 years old (and they are anything but calm) and she still manages to go for work and set up all this for Christmas. As I turned the key to unlock my door I couldn't help but smile at the small decoration that I stuck on it as a symbol of Christmas. And inside my house there was a tiny star and a ring made of tinsel and holly - no tree, no crib, and no lights.....But I did feel Christmas inside me.  
I looked around and told myself - The reason for the lack of decoration is mainly my son who is now climbing on to anything and everything possible. He is too small to enjoy the dazzle and decor that is part of this season so there is no point in making a fuss over this is there? Well some how I felt incomplete and the competitive person inside me kept telling me I don't match up to my neighbors and family and kin. 
Hmmm.....then I turned to that little voice inside me that I often ignore and that little voice said....."it doesn't matter what Christmas is to others....but it's what Christmas is to you that counts"."To the others you might be someone who is not doing enough to match up to the spirit of this festive season......but to the ones that count (your husband and your son) are you doing enough?" my little voice questioned me. "Well are you spiritually prepared for Christmas?" the voice questioned me again. I knew then what I needed to do to make this Christmas a lasting memory and a special one without all the glitter and glamor.....relax and do as much as I can to enjoy the day with those I love....go to Mass to honor this day and have a simple and nice Christmas.

"I will honor Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year."  ~Charles Dickens       

P.S. Check this link for more ideas on simple ways to celebrate this season: 10-ways-to-make-the-season-brighter

2 comments:

  1. we would try to have a memorable Christmas with all of it's glitters and glamor. As you mentioned this xmas is very important one of our life. Nevertheless we supposed have mutton stew and appam for our breakfast,homemade banana special cake and good lunch offered by cousin with an essential ingredient of our homemade cutlet....:)...The perceptions that you have written here is like a warm wind in cool xmas climate...certainly this writings are emerged from the wonderful feelings that you have gone through...

    ReplyDelete
  2. We will have a memorable Christmas like you have mentioned with our little home made goodies and Vinu kuttan.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your comments and feedback on the articles you read.
If you are a blogger like me please feel free to leave links to your blog so I can visit them and read your articles too.
Thank you!!