Tuesday, 5 October 2010

Friends forever

"Sisters is probably the most competitive relationship within the family, but once the sisters are grown, it becomes the strongest relationship."  ~Margaret Mead

I share a special bond with my sister who is 8 years younger than me.The age gap may seem as a factor that would hinder bonding among the siblings these days but in our case it was a plus factor.


The situation wasn't always like that in the beginning. The age gap was so very evident when she was born and it was difficult for me to accept the tiny person who I had to babysit and who all my classmates loved and called "cute". I never understood how she could be so sweet to all my friends and be just the opposite towards me. That didn't prevent me form being her protector in school shielding her from the class bullies and even from my mom's beatings. She too did her part by consoling me when I was upset or sad.

As the years went by we learned to confide in each other. Though small my sister had a unique quality of offering advice whenever  I needed. When she became old enough to understand me I began to share all my feelings and thoughts with her and we began to grow close. She was not just my smaller sister, she became my best friend, adviser, secret keeper and much more.

Now she has grown into a lovely young lady doing her college and we still share a close bond that both of us cherish. She cheers me up when I am upset and lifts my spirit and I manage to have solutions to all her prevailing problems because 'I have been there done that' and my experiences have become lessons for her future.We still have our fights: verbal fights -I usually win & physical fights - she usually wins. Our fights go something like this - My verbal comments irritate her to such an extend that she resorts to physical actions of hurling things at me. Somehow we haven't grown up to out grow some of our childhood habits.

Once I asked my sister if she wished to be the eldest if we ever get to be born again as siblings. She said "NO".When asked why, she said that she likes it this way - me being the elder sister and bossing over her rather than the other way round. I guess that's what made us click eventually - I enjoyed being the bossy one while she enjoyed being bossed around. Even though we are so different from each other yet we are so much alike, well that is the best thing about being sisters I think.


"Having a sister is like having a best friend you can't get rid of.  You know whatever you do, they'll still be there."  ~Amy Li

6 comments:

  1. Great article Ranji! I can so well relate to it. Sisters are indeed our best friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really you are an ideal sisters that everybody can learn how to be good sibling with good understandings and love each other. I really appreciate your friendship relation that a few can retain between the relationships. Actually my pleasure was multiplied when i realized that i had been joined to an amazing family of loving members which taught me a lot to enhance my life. As my wish I got a real sister also, the one i dont have.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those words about our relationship was really sweet..........
    i loved it cause u rearly praise me.....
    Thanks.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Special thanks to my hubby for all those lovely sentiments you mentioned in your comments....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Dev...I know you could relate with me 'cause you have a sister too....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well Shruthi you are a sweet sister....though I don't mention it often in your presence I do tell those around :)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your comments and feedback on the articles you read.
If you are a blogger like me please feel free to leave links to your blog so I can visit them and read your articles too.
Thank you!!